I find that even at the ripe old age of 46 the mind is a terrible thing to waste. Television is nothing more than mindless entertainment and the reading material I find lacks a lot to be desired. With today’s modern English lacking much of its former grace and elegance I find myself reading old classics online. So many beautiful words are never even used these days.
While reading this evening I learned three new words.
- First “Impecunious” meaning – having very little or no money usually habitually : PENNILESS
- Second “Inculcated” meaning – : to teach and impress by frequent repetitions or admonitions
- Third “Pedagogues” meaning – TEACHER, SCHOOLMASTER; especially : a dull, formal, or pedantic teacher
I spend much of my free time studying my two favorite subjects family genealogy and history. There are so many free digitized books on the internet studying in the comfort and quiet of one’s own home has never been easier. With much of my family’s history being in Illinois I have consumed many hours studying that great state especially the Peoria, Washington, and Bloomington areas.
Books I have read
- Portrait and biographical album of Peoria County, Illinois http://www.archive.org/details/portraitbiographi00biog
- Portrait and biographical record of Clinton, Washington, Marion and Jefferson Counties, Illinois http://libsysdigi.library.uiuc.edu/oca/Books2007-07/portraitbiograph94chic
- Portrait and biographical record of Tazewell and Mason counties, Illinois http://libsysdigi.library.uiuc.edu/oca/Books2007-07/portraitbiograp00chic
Books I am currently reading
- History of the Disciples of Christ in Illinois, 1819-1914 By Nathaniel Smith Haynes http://books.google.com/books?id=N68weNmW8lEC&pg=PA1&dq=restoration+movement+haynes#PPP1,M1
Where to find digitized books
- Google Books http://books.google.com/books
- Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/details/texts
- Northern Illinois University Libraries Digitization Projects http://lincoln.lib.niu.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/navigate.pl?lincoln.3432
- Illinois Harvest, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign http://illinoisharvest.grainger.uiuc.edu/digitized_books.asp?set=CL&myFirst=75